Sunday, April 4, 2010

Tattoos - Not just for Popeye anymore! Assignments 1-2 & 1-4/Week 1/Popular Culture Blog & Weekly Analysis/April 4, 2010

Are tattoos artwork or just plain tacky? The opinions about tattoos run the complete gamit, but they have become increasingly popular, especially in the last 10 years.

It used to be that sailors or bikers had tattoos, they were for the bad BOYS and never for ladies. Now it is more difficult to find someone who doesn't have a tattoo. They are on everyone from sixteen year old girls, socceer moms, businessmen and grandmothers.

The stigma that a tattoo used to hold in the business world is still present in some areas, but is becoming more and more acceptable because of their increased popularity. They just aren't that big of a deal anymore.

So in the interest of research, data and my own curiosity how many people in our class has a tattoo? How many? Does (or did) it have special meaning? Do you still like it or wish it was gone?

3 comments:

  1. Love your topic!!! I have three...would never get them again and wish I wouldn't have got two of them. The two I would get rid of are on my legs and I hate them b/c when I wear a business suit I just feel uncomfortable having them show. If I could do it over again, I probably would not have done it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am probably going to be in the minority with zero tattoos. Personally I think they are tacky and worry what they may look like as the skin starts to age. Many of my friends have them but I just think they are nuts when they get more. Also I think it creates a bad picture for the employee and the employer in the business world. I am only 27 but maybe i am too old fashioned? Just a personal opinion I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any tattoos. I may get one in the future but I'm not sure. I don't like it when people get tattoos all over their bodies, but one or two is okay with me. I must add that the only thing that has kept me from getting a tattoo is that I'm scared to death of needles.

    ReplyDelete